Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Sugar Free Apple Crisp

I have loved being able to be home more since little girl came into our lives. One thing I'm really enjoying is cooking and baking more than I ever have. I'm on a mission to actually use the stacks of cookbooks I have laying around to find some new yummy recipes, oh and maybe get through some of the 100's of recipes I have pinned on my Pinterest boards. 

My Mama had us all over for Mothers Day and wanted me to come up with some sort of dessert.She doesn't eat sugar so I was on a mission to find something that she could enjoy with us! I found this recipe on Pinterest, but now that I'm going back to find it I realized that I don't have it pinned. I must have just printed it instead of pinned it...hmmm. Anyways here it is... 

Apple Crisp: 

Filing: 
12 apples (peeled, cored and sliced) * I used the apples I have frozen in my freezer, and they worked great!
1/4 cup maple syrup*(use 1/2 cup if you aren't going to serve this with something sweet like Ice Cream) 
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp whole wheat pastry flour (I just used my normal whole wheat flour)

Topping: 
2 Cups Rolled Oats
1 Cup Whole wheat flour 
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup canola oil (possibly could use coconut oil)

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees

To prepare the filling, place apples in a large bowl and add all the ingredients gently. Spread into a 9x12 baking dish ( I used a pie plate and it worked great) 

For the topping, combine the oats, flour, nuts and cinnamon. In another bowl whisk together the syrup and the oil and add it to the dry ingredients until it is nice and crumbly. Spread this mixture over the apples. Cover with foil (Oops didn't do that) and bake for 30 minutes or so. Remove the foil and bake for another 20-30 minutes. 

Remove and Enjoy! 

It turned out really good and was super easy to prepare. My Mom liked it which was a plus! 

P.s Have I mentioned how thankful I am for my Mom? I love celebrating Mothers day, and it was really fun to celebrate my first one this year as well. My baby girls daddy helped her spoil me! 


No comments:

Post a Comment